First things first, my weekly round (which is really bi-weekly these days) will be more focused on Dividends and Investing with a dash or randomness if I find it pertinent. I was always a little more focused on dividends as I really have more times to give attention to those blogs over others.
Top Canadian Personal Finance Blog Nomination
I am always humble to be nominated and its always thanks to my readers. Without you, there wouldn’t be a blog. Over at Modest Money, I was nominated as a Top Canadian Finance Blog and I would love it if you could take some time to vote for me It takes only a minute – click the link, scroll down the list and click “The Passive Income Earner”.
I don’t know if you read the news about Apple mulling over having preferred shares with something like a 4% yield and with their cash balance, it sounds like it would be a great opportunity for investors - especially for those nearing retirement.
Preferred shares are definitely going to have a part in my portfolio but that’s going to be closer to my retirement timeline. I have been building my portfolio for growth and income and over time I will balance it with preferred shares and bonds. I have not done my full portfolio strategy, unlike my RESP strategy, since I am still years away and I will not be using my age for bonds allocations either. Look for a post in the future about my allocation strategy over time. My current allocation target is outlined @ How To Rebalance a Stock Portfolio.
If you could take a moment to share your plan around preferred shares, I would love to here it.
Some weekend reading to share …
- Canadian Finance Blog with ‘The Commission-Free ETF Revolution‘
- Boomer & Echo with ‘Learn From The Boomers’ Mistakes‘
- Canadian Couch Potato with ‘A Monte Carlo Case Study: Can I Retire Early?‘
- Dividend Growth Investor with ‘Most Widely Held Dividend Growth Stocks‘
- Dividend Ninja with ‘RRSP and TFSA Strategies You Can Take to the Bank‘
- Dividend Monk with ‘The Comprehensive Guide to Index Funds‘
- Dividend Guy Blog with ‘The Ultimate Guide to Finding Double Digit Dividend Growth Stocks‘
- Freedome 35 with ‘Fiscal Update – Jan 2013 – New Year Bump‘
- My Own Advisor with ‘What is Dividend Investing? Why Should You Do It?‘
- Retire by 40 with ‘AShould you invest in Target Date Funds?‘
Here are the carnivals I was present in the last two weeks.
- Carn. of Financial Camaraderie at Financial Conflict Coach
- Yakezie Carnival at The Amateur Financier
- Carnival of MoneyPros at Money Pros
- Y and T’s Weekend Ramblings at Young and Thrifty.ca
- Carnival of Retirement at See Debt Run
- Finance Carn. for Young Adults at Master the Art of Saving
- Yakezie Carnival at Faithful With a Few
- Carnival of MoneyPros at The Ultimate Juggle
- Carnival of Retirement at WorkSaveLive