I hope you have been enjoying your long weekend. I have made it an extended long weekend by including Monday. This past week, I reported on two projects I am involved with along with many other bloggers; Stock Picking Contest and the Dividend Growth Index. The Dividend Growth Index is definitely an interesting project and something to watch over the coming year as it compares dividend investing against indexes. Not that I want to debate index investing, but it’s interesting nonetheless.
Over April, I’ll be discussing income taxes a little as it is when I do my taxes. A few years back, I had to refile twice for having done it too early as I kept on getting T5 forms all the way to mid-April. As you grow your portfolio, you can expect that to happen as well.
Short List Of Stocks
I made my TFSA contribution with Husky Energy (HSE) this year by buying 100 shares and added to Power Financial (PWF). PWF was adding to the beaten insurance sector indirectly and HSE was adding a high yield oil producer to my portfolio next to Crescent Point Energy (CPG).
On the short list for future purchases, I have two path:
- U.S. purchases for my RRSP
- Spousal TFSA
RRSP Short List
Spousal TFSA Short List
At the top of the list, I currently have Canadian National Railway (CNR) and some income trusts such as Cominar Real Estate (CUF.UN) and The KEG (KEG.UN). I prefer to hold income trusts in a tax free account as it makes the calculation of taxes simpler due to the possible return of capital you can get over the years.
Winners have been contacted but no answers from a few so I will redraw for some prizes and contact the winners again. Please stay tuned as I reach out to all the winners and I appreciate your patience.
Some weekend reading to share …
- Bank Nerd with ‘Managing Auto Insurance Cost‘
- Beating The Index with ‘Portfolio Update: March 2012‘
- Dividend Ninja with ‘Should You Invest In Dividend Stocks or ETFs?’
- Dividend Monk with ’5 Dividend Payers with Very Strong Balance Sheets’
- Finance Fox with ‘Can You Have Too Many Accounts With One Financial Joint. Is that Bad?‘
- Invest It Wisely with ‘Two Months of Entrepreneurship: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly’
- My Own Advisor with ’April Update – 2012 Personal Finance and Investing Goals’
- Retire By 40 with ‘Socially Responsible Investing‘
- Retire Happy Blog with ‘Understanding Corporate and High Yield Bonds‘
- Young & Thrifty with ‘A Peek Inside My TFSA Trading Portfolio 2012‘
Have a nice weekend!